The wait is finally over as Google Summer of Code 2022 (GSoC 2022) is out now where you get the chance to work on more than 200+ open source projects. For starters who don’t know about GSoC 2022, it is a 12+ week programming project with the guidance of mentors from their open-source organization. This year they are welcoming 32 new organizations to mentor GSoC contributors.
About Google Summer of Code 2022
Google Summer of Code is a global, online mentoring program focused on introducing new contributors to open source software development. GSoC contributors work on a 12+ week programming project with the guidance of mentors from their open-source organization.
During Google Summer of Code, participating contributors are paired with mentors from open source organizations, gaining exposure to real-world software development techniques. Contributors will learn from experienced open source developers while writing code for real-world projects! A small stipend will provide by mentors as an incentive.
Participating organizations use the program to identify and bring in new, excited developers. Many of those new developers will continue to contribute to their new communities and open-source long after GSoC is over.
- April 4 – 18:00 UTC: GSoC contributor application period begins
- April 19 – 18:00 UTC: GSoC contributor application deadline
- May 12 – 18:00 UTC: GSoC contributor slot requests due from Org Admins
- 20th May – 18:00 UTC: Accepted GSoC contributor projects announced
- May 20 – June 12: Community Bonding Period | GSoC contributors get to know mentors, read documentation, get up to speed to begin working on their projects
- June 13: Coding officially begins!
- July 25 – 18:00 UTC: Mentors and GSoC contributors can begin submitting Phase 1 evaluations
- 29th July – 18:00 UTC: Phase 1 Evaluation deadline (standard coding period)
- July 25 – September 4: Work Period | GSoC contributors work on their project with guidance from Mentors
- September 5 – September 12 – 18:00 UTC Final week: GSoC contributors submit their final work product and their final mentor evaluation (standard coding period)
- 12th – 19th September – 18:00 UTC: Mentors submit final GSoC contributor evaluations (standard coding period)
- September 20: Initial results of Google Summer of Code 2022 announced
- September 12 – November 13: GSoC contributors with extended timelines continue coding
- November 21 – 18:00 UTC: Final date for all GSoC contributors to submit their final work product
- November 28 – 18:00 UTC: Final date for mentors to submit evaluations for GSoC contributor projects with extended deadlines
How does it Work?
- Apply: Interested contributors propose a project to work on
- Code: Accepted GSoC contributors spend the summer coding with guidance from a mentor.
- Share: Submit your code for the world to use!
Mentors in Google Summer of Code 2022
Yes, you will get mentorship from members. Community members and committers already active in the mentoring organizations can choose to mentor a contributor project. Mentors and GSoC contributors work together to determine appropriate goals for the program period. Mentor interaction is a vital part of the program.
How to Register for Google Summer of Code 2022?
To register for this CLICK HERE