The GATE Computer Science syllabus includes the following topics:
- Discrete Mathematics: Propositional and first-order logic, sets, relations, functions, partial orders, and lattices. Groups, rings, and fields.
- Digital Logic: Boolean algebra, minimization of Boolean functions, logic gates, and digital circuits.
- Computer Organization and Architecture: Machine instructions and addressing modes, ALU, data-path and control unit, instruction pipelining, memory hierarchy, I/O interface (interrupt and DMA mode), instruction and data cache.
- Programming and Data Structures: Programming in C, Recursion, Arrays, Stacks, Queues, Linked Lists, Trees, Binary search trees, AVL trees, Heaps, Graphs.
- Algorithms: Searching, sorting, hashing, asymptotic worst-case time and space complexity, algorithm design techniques (greedy, dynamic programming, divide-and-conquer).
- Theory of Computation: Regular expressions, finite automata, context-free grammars, pushdown automata, Turing machines, undecidability.
- Compiler Design: Lexical analysis, parsing, syntax-directed translation, runtime environments, intermediate and target code generation, basics of code optimization.
- Operating System: Processes, threads, inter-process communication, concurrency and synchronization, deadlock, CPU scheduling, memory management, virtual memory, file systems.
- Databases: ER-model, relational model, database design (integrity constraints, normal forms), query languages (SQL), file structures (sequential files, indexing, B and B+ trees).
- Computer Networks: Concept of layering, LAN technologies (Ethernet, Token ring), flow and error control techniques, routing algorithms, TCP/UDP and sockets, IP (v4 and v6), Application layer protocols (DNS, SMTP, POP, FTP, HTTP).
- Software Engineering: Software life cycle models, software design, coding, testing, and maintenance, software development models (waterfall, prototyping, incremental, and spiral).
Candidates should note that the above topics are only indicative and not exhaustive. The GATE Computer Science syllabus may be updated or revised from time to time, and candidates are advised to check the official GATE website for the most up-to-date information on the syllabus.